Starting early 2022, I worked with a PM, Customer Success, and an engineering team to redesign Movista's project scheduling solution. This project was part of comprehensive update of Movista's platforms.
This new design created a 56% decrease in initial loading times and better presents needed information to help users schedule field reps.
Client's had been using the previous scheduling solution for 7 years. During that time, our team had collected and learned a lot about the current solution from client interactions (interviews, meetings, field visits, etc.).
We interviewed members of our client success team and some of our clients to gather insights.
We learned that we only had one client who was actively using Scheduling because the original feature was built to their requirements. Other clients were using different scheduling methods outside our platform that had additional features.
Clients reported that the original scheduling portal was slow to load, making the smallest tasks take too long to complete. Our analysis of the 3 clients with the largest data sets showed an average of ~16 seconds for an initial load and ~4 seconds to save a change to the schedule.
We surveyed digital calendar best practices and design patterns to make sure that our solution would have the features clients needed, while having the affordances they were used to in other digital calendars.
From our interviews and experience we derived a number of ways that the scheduling portal needed to improve in order to have better product-market fit. I'll discuss two here.
The original portal required several clicks to get work onto the schedule and a lot of time for the portal to update. This often made the user wonder if their change had saved or if they had done something wrong.
As a Home Office Scheduler, I need the ability to quickly schedule projects to Field Reps. These assignments need to be made within the amount of time a Rep is allowed to work, and their availability.
We learned a lot as we designed our new scheduling UI and continued to learn and tweak the design as engineering worked on it. During this period, we did a lot of learning by testing with clients and our Client Success team.
I delivered a Figma document with designs linked to JIRA stories to engineering. After the formal project handoff, I continued to collaborate with PM and Engineering to work through any issues that came up.